Copy Link Text (CoLT)
- “… my favorite extension.” — Lorelle VanFossen from Lorelle on WordPress
- Lifehacker Editors’ Favorite Software List, July 27, 2008
- Lifehacker Download of the Day, June 1, 2006
Released on April 29, 2013
What is CoLT?
CoLT (short for "Copy Link Text") is a tiny extension for Firefox which makes it easier than ever to copy a hyperlink’s associated text. For example, if I were to use this extension to copy this link to my site, the copied text would quite literally be this link to my blog.
CoLT also includes a means of copying both a link’s text and URL at the same time. This feature is particularly handy for bloggers, web developers, or anyone else who finds themselves writing links to other places on the web. Users can create an unlimited number of custom formats for copying both the link text and location (learn more about custom formats). All of the default formats are shown below:
|Rich Text||this link to my site|
CoLT places up to three menu items in the browser’s context menu. To reduce clutter, each menu item is only visible when the context menu is opened by right-clicking a hyperlink. These menu items can also be hidden if you so desire.
How do I access the CoLT options dialog?
- In the Tools menu in Firefox, select the Add-ons menu item.
- In the Add-ons window, make sure that the Extensions pane is selected.
- Select the entry for CoLT and click the associated Options button.
What languages does CoLT support?
In addition to English, the latest version of CoLT includes the languages listed below. If you would like to volunteer to translate the extension into your language, head over to BabelZilla and sign up for a free account. Then, visit the CoLT translation forum post for the relevant links to translate the extension. BabelZilla makes translating easy (you can do it in your web browser)!
- Arabic (ar)
- Catalan (ca)
- Chinese Simplified (zh-CN)
- Chinese Traditional (zh-TW)
- Czech (cs-CZ)
- Danish (da)
- Dutch (nl)
- French (fr)
- German (de)
- Italian (it)
- Japanese (ja-JP)
- Korean (ko-KR)
- Lithuanian (lt-LT)
- Persian (fa-IR)
- Polish (pl)
- Portuguese: Brazilian (pt-BR)
- Portuguese: Portugal (pt-PT)
- Russian (ru-RU)
- Slovak (sk-SK)
- Spanish: Argentina (es-AR)
- Spanish: Spain (es-ES)
- Swedish (sv-SE)
- Turkish (tr)