I have finished updating the toolbar tutorial here at the site. Chapters 6 through 8 have been polished, and all the appropriate downloads and sample files have been updated as well. Again, if you spot an error with these updates, please let me know.
I have started making updates to the toolbar tutorial here on the site. So far, chapters 1 through 5 have been updated. Here’s a brief rundown of what has changed:
- The downloadable version of the toolbar has been updated (though the GitHub repo has yet to be updated)
maxVersionhas been bumped to 99.*
- Markup for the toolbar (in chapter 3) has been updated in several places
- An image sheet is now used in the skin for the toolbar, and all the appropriate style changes have been made to support this; see chapter 5 for details
- A number of links have been updated
As a result of this first phase of the update, chapters 6 through 8 are now out of sync. I hope to finish these updates later this weekend, but it may be early next week before I can get to it. If you spot any errors in these updates, please leave a comment to let me know.
The final build in the 4.x line of Googlebar Lite has just been released. One critical bug has been fixed, and one visual bug has also been squashed:
- Bug Fix: Search terms should no longer be duplicated when they already exist in the search history
- Bug Fix: The Googlebar Lite toolbar should now look better when using large icons
Barring any additional show-stopping bugs that crop up, the next release will be 5.0, and will include a giant new feature. Stay tuned!
A new version of Googlebar Lite continues the extension update extravaganza going on here at Born Geek. This release should hopefully improve the look and feel of the toolbar in Windows and Linux. If you see any weirdness, open an issue at GitHub or let me know by leaving a comment here. As always, here’s the updates in this release:
- Improved the look and feel of the search box on Windows and Linux
- Replaced the custom clear search history confirmation dialog with a built-in one from nsIPromptService
- Added a couple of extra presets to the search box width option
- Search box width presets now list their width in pixels
- Bug Fix: Fixed a minor warning that was appearing in the browser console on startup
Another bug-fix release of CoLT is now available. Here’s what I squashed this time around:
- Removed a few deprecated parameters from various internal functions
- Bug Fix: CoLT’s menu items were not working properly when only one format was present in the custom formats list
- Bug Fix: Improved the way migrating from ancient versions of CoLT works (prefs weren’t being fully migrated)
As an aside, I will be updating portions of the tutorial over the coming days and weeks. There are sections of it that are now out of date, and I would like to improve the UI of the toolbar. Updates have already begun (I’ve cleaned up the first two sections), so stay tuned for improvements to this resource.
Version 2.6.3 of CoLT is now available, fixing a critical bug affecting new installs:
- Removed the following translations, all of which were mostly incomplete: cs-CZ, ko-KR, tr, zh-TW
- Bug Fix: Removed an invalid reference to the document object in CoLT’s common module, which prevented new installs from being set up properly
A critical bug with CoLT 2.6.2 prevents new installs from working properly. As a result, I have removed the download links for the extension from the site. I hope to have a fix for this problem up by the weekend (hopefully sooner).
A new build of Googlebar Lite is now available. One of the changes in this build pertains to the internal XUL markup for the toolbar, which will likely change the look and feel of the search-box slightly. This change essentially rolls back an update I made back in version 4.7.6, and therefore has the potential to reintroduce visual bugs which may have existed back then.
Another large change is the removal of the resize gripper, which has needed to be removed for some time now. In its place is a new preference that allows you to size the search box as you so desire. Details on how to use the Custom setting will appear in a subsequent post.
If you see problems with this release, please either open an issue at GitHub or leave a comment here. Without further ado, here’s the change log:
- Removed the search box resize gripper, and replaced it with a new search box width preference
- Redesigned the way that internal preference data and common functions are stored
- Tweaked the internal XUL structure of the toolbar, specifically changing the way the search box is contained
- Removed a few deprecated content manifests from the package
- Simplified the style of the about dialog
- Removed a few unused style rules
- Bug Fix: The Googlebar Lite toolbar can now be placed in the new menu panel in Firefox 29+, using a new minimal user interface
- Bug Fix: The main Googlebar Lite toolbar item now renders correctly when placed into the toolbar palette
- Bug Fix: Fixed a minor object duplication issue with the preferences dialog
A brand new build of CoLT is now available. This release improves a number of things internally. If you spot a bug, feel free to open an issue over at the CoLT GitHub repo. Here’s what has changed in this release:
- Custom formats are now stored in a JSON file in the user’s Firefox profile, instead of as Firefox preferences
- Rewrote the export and import routines to support the new JSON file format
- Improved the way internal logging is handled
- Modified the way new-line characters are determined
- Bumped the minVersion to 24.0
- Bumped the maxVersion to 45.*
- Bug Fix: Redesigned the way data is passed between the browser and CoLT’s options dialog, fixing several errors that would appear in the browser console
- Bug Fix: Fixed a few places where DOM elements were erroneously being created and never used