I have finished updating the toolbar tutorial here at the site. Chapters 6 through 8 have been polished, and all the appropriate downloads and sample files have been updated as well. Again, if you spot an error with these updates, please let me know.
I have started making updates to the toolbar tutorial here on the site. So far, chapters 1 through 5 have been updated. Here’s a brief rundown of what has changed:
- The downloadable version of the toolbar has been updated (though the GitHub repo has yet to be updated)
maxVersionhas been bumped to 99.*
- Markup for the toolbar (in chapter 3) has been updated in several places
- An image sheet is now used in the skin for the toolbar, and all the appropriate style changes have been made to support this; see chapter 5 for details
- A number of links have been updated
As a result of this first phase of the update, chapters 6 through 8 are now out of sync. I hope to finish these updates later this weekend, but it may be early next week before I can get to it. If you spot any errors in these updates, please leave a comment to let me know.
As an aside, I will be updating portions of the tutorial over the coming days and weeks. There are sections of it that are now out of date, and I would like to improve the UI of the toolbar. Updates have already begun (I’ve cleaned up the first two sections), so stay tuned for improvements to this resource.
The Firefox Toolbar Tutorial has finally been updated with newer extension development practices. Here’s a high-level list of what has changed:
- A few corrections and additions have been made to the Install Manifest portion of chapter 2
- One bug workaround has been removed from chapter 3, as it is no longer needed
- The information on useful development browser settings has been moved into chapter 4
- The packaging information in chapter 7 has been heavily modified, since JAR files are no longer required
- Minor updates and a new closing section has been added to chapter 8
If you spot any errors in this latest update, please let me know.
For some time now, I’ve been meaning to make some improvements and updates to the Firefox Toolbar Tutorial. Now that Firefox 3 is being sunset, it’s time to move things forward. A number of practices that the tutorial teaches are no longer required, and why do stuff you don’t need to? In the next few weeks, I’ll be making updates to the tutorial to bring it up to date, so stay tuned!
I’ve started the update process. Chapter 1 has been tweaked slightly, and chapter 2 is currently undergoing some big updates. Please note that things may get out of sync as I update.
Chapters 2 through 5 have been updated. Further updates will continue tomorrow.
I have updated the
maxVersion value in the downloadable toolbar tutorial extension to 20.*, mostly out of my annoyance with the new Firefox release schedule. Both Googlebar Lite and CoLT will undergo similar changes in the near future. This will prevent my having to release a new version every few weeks, as new versions of the browser are released.
I have made a few long-overdue updates to the Firefox profile tutorial. Some of the wording has been improved, a few points have been clarified, screenshots have been updated, and a new caution has been inserted. If you spot a problem, let me know.
I’ve updated chapter 8 of the toolbar tutorial, which describes how to test the extensions you are developing. Several new “useful browser settings” have been added to that section, a few of which are particularly useful in Firefox 4.0 development.
I have made several substantial updates to my Firefox Toolbar Tutorial. Here’s what’s new:
- The installable version of the tutorial toolbar has been updated with the changes above, and is now compatible with all 4.0 builds of Firefox.
- Several grammatical errors have been fixed, and broken links have been repaired.
If you spot any errors, please let me know. Enjoy this update!
The sample toolbar that is available for download in chapter 1 of the Firefox toolbar tutorial has been updated to work with Firefox 3.6. The appropriate places in the text have also been updated. Many thanks to Nir for pointing out this error!