After sitting on an XHTML Strict template for years and years, I’ve finally migrated this site’s theme to HTML 5. A number of new elements have been put to use, styles have been trimmed a little, and I’m using one less web-font. Hopefully I haven’t broken too much; if you spot something, let me know in the comments below. As always, expect sporadic updates as I add polish.
I recently made a change to this site to remove the ‘www’ from the front of the URL. Well, it turns out this caused a large number of headaches with WordPress (though I think the actual root cause of the problem lies in a custom .htaccess rule set that I wrote). Anyways, I’m going back to the old-school ‘www’ style URL until I have more time to fix it. If you see problems with the site, please let me know.
I have just pushed out the responsive version of this site’s theme, so you should see it immediately. Though the various tweaks may not be immediately apparent, the experience of this site on a mobile device or tablet (or a smaller screen in general) should be much better than before. Resize your browser window in the horizontal direction to see the style changes in real time!
There are still a few pain points to work through:
- I’m still a little unsure how to handle the syntax-highlighted code snippets in the various posts around the site. Snippets that don’t use syntax highlighting will word-wrap, but the syntax-highlighted blocks currently just offer a horizontal scroll bar.
- Various images in older posts need to have their hard-coded sizes removed from the
imgtags, so that they’ll scale appropriately. This is just a matter of going through and making those changes.
There could be other issues that I have yet to stumble across. From my limited testing, the site looks alright in Firefox, Chrome, and IE-9. I’m sure I’ll be tweaking stuff here and there over the next few days. If you spot problems, please let me know by leaving a comment.
I have decided to start using the SyntaxHighlighter package here at this website, to make various code snippets a little easier to read. This package really appeals to me since it supports a number of languages, has a graceful fallback mechanism, and looks nice. Rolling out these changes will be slow, however, since I have to go through and apply some styling to all the appropriate code blocks. As always, let me know if you spot a problem with this new feature.
I just realized that a number of posts that were imported to this site from my old blog are missing backslash characters. After doing some investigation, I found out that there’s an associated WordPress bug (Ticket #21007) against the importer utility. Apparently, backslashes aren’t preserved as they should be.
I’m working to fix all of the relevant posts and comments. When I’ve completed this task, I’ll update this post.
I believe I have fixed all of the relevant posts. If you spot a problem somewhere, let me know!
Seeing as it’s been a very long time since I’ve done anything with it, I’ve decided to create a new DreamHost discount here at Born Geek. You can now save $75.00 by using the promo code borngeek3 when you sign up as a new DreamHost customer! Is that easy to do, or what?
By signing up through Born Geek, you’re helping to support the hosting cost of this website. That’s right: 100% of the remaining portion of the rewards money I get for new customer referrals goes straight to keeping Born Geek on the air. A big thank you to everyone who has supported this website in the past!
After a great deal of preparation, I have finally closed the doors on Year of the Code Monkey, my former blog URL. All of the old URLs should redirect to this site instead, including the RSS feed. If you have a subscription to the old Year of the Code Monkey RSS feed, please update the URL to point to the Born Geek feed instead. At some point in the future, I will remove the redirection rule for that feed.
As always, let me know if you spot some sort of problem with this migration.
I’m in the process of moving my blog posts here to Born Geek. Lots of links, photos, and styles are broken at the moment, so please bear with me as I move all of this data.
The migration has been completed.
In further preparation for merging my blog with Born Geek, the “Code” section of this website has been relocated. You will now find all of the old Visual-C++ articles filed as back-dated posts beneath the Visual-C++ tag. If you spot a problem with any of them, let me know by leaving a comment here. Below is a master list of the articles, for convenience:
- Simple Windows Registry Access
- Advanced Windows Registry Access
- Application Context Menus
- Control Specific Context Menus
- Copying Text to the Clipboard
- A Cleaner MRU List
Dialog Based Applications
- Adding Accelerator Keys
- Adding Tool Tips to Dialog Controls
- Adding UpdateCommandUI to Dialog Menus
- System Menu Icon Bug
Window Placement and Sizing
Over the next few days, as I have available time, I will be tweaking the design of this site. My ultimate goal is to merge my blog with this site, closing the former down once that’s complete. The style changes I’ll be making are in anticipation of that move.
If you spot something broken, let me know by leaving a comment here, but just be warned that things will be in a state of flux as I make updates.