Version 5.1.1 of Googlebar Lite is now available at the official Firefox add-ons site. This will be the final release of Googlebar Lite to include new features written by me. From here on out, my plan is to solely fix any problems that crop up, some of which have already surfaced for the upcoming Firefox 44. I do not have plans on porting this toolbar to the new multi-process Firefox that is coming down the pipeline.
If you have new features you want to see added to Googlebar Lite, or if you want to take on the task of making Googlebar Lite compatible with the multi-process builds of Firefox, feel free to submit pull requests at the official GitHub repo. I will happily merge any pull requests that are submitted, as long as they adhere to keeping with the “Lite” aspect of this extension.
It’s been a fun 11 years of development (can you believe it has been that long?!?), and I am grateful to all the many users who have made Googlebar Lite such an outstanding project. Nearly 30,000 people still use this extension every day, which boggles my mind. To think that something I wrote for my own use could be so useful to others is really terrific.
Here is the change log for version 5.1.0 (5.1.1 fixed a regression I inadvertently introduced):
- Search words are now grouped together under one toolbar button when Googlebar Lite is placed on the nav-bar
- Googlebar Lite options can now be exported and imported, making it much easier to migrate options from one install to another
- Keyboard search modifiers (Ctrl+Enter, Shift+Enter, etc.) can now be toggled on or off
- Keyboard search modifiers (Ctrl+Enter, Shift+Enter, etc.) now have the option of opening in a new tab
- The basic web search type is now available for each keyboard search modifier
- The “classic Maps” option has been renamed and now toggles “Lite mode” when performing Google Maps searches
- Bumped the supported minVersion to 38.0
- Simplified the extension’s about dialog
- Removed a few deprecated code paths
- Removed four locales due to their being very out of date: el-GR, hr-HR, pt-BR, and sk-SK
- Minor locale updates
- Googlebar Lite change history has been moved into a Markdown-flavored file at the top of the tree
- Bug Fix: Removed a hard-coded tooltip, replacing it with the appropriate localized variant